Thursday, January 1, 2009

My Personal New Year :) :)

" Already 2009...How time flies" mused Sunita, my newest friend on the block, as we drove back from dinner last evening.
" Its only 11:00..There is a good 60 minutes more to the New Year" chimed in another friend indignantly " You girls really need to learn to live in the moment, instead of racing ahead of time"
I could well understand his outrage.
The three of us had had a quiet evening, pigging to our heart's content on some incredible Cuban-Chinese food and were driving back to our cozy beds..Satiated, content and brimming with good-will towards the world at large.
And at this opportune moment, Sunita decided to go philosophical on us.
" I am not racing ahead...Was just saying that another year has past..." She clarified, a trace of wistfulness still lingering in her voice.
Our live-in-the-moment friend shot an exasperated glance first at her, and then towards the backseat, where I was sprawled like a spent python that had swallowed a bandicoot too large for its gut.
" And you in the backseat, why are you so silent? Saying Kaddish* for 2008?"
" Actually not...Jan 1 does not signify the end of an year for me" I mumbled sleepily " My New Year begins on June 27th,the day I hit this earth running..."
In the darkness, I could sense a glimmer of a smile light up Sunita's face.
" I like that...It certainly is a different way of looking at things" She chirped "This means that I have another 8 months to go before my New Year" She concluded happily, drawing unintelligible noises of assent from the back
Our martian friend however was unimpressed by our Venusian wisdom." How convenient"He sniffed "Trust a woman to turn things to her advantage..."
Yes indeed, how convenient!!!
* Evil Glinting Smile*



*Kaddish = Used to refer specifically to "The Mourners' Kaddish," said as part of the mourning rituals in Judaism in all prayer services as well as at funerals and memorials.

3 comments:

Roopa said...

Hmmm..that is a nice way of looking at it. That way, I can wait until the next November.

Gingerbread & Me said...

hehehe...we all have out own little new years going on, don't we?

Ganges said...

love your language...lady, you must take it further :)